7 March 2012

IF ONLY I HAD A CONSOLE

Now we know there are probably rules preventing us from publishing this photee*. However this snap taken on our recent visit to Elland Road simply had to be shown to the world. For years, I have travelled the country watching the Albion - you could say I've grown up watching them, if indeed I have grown up at all. Just like the little lad pictured. The difference being just in thing, he was given a handheld console to get him through the dreary bits.

At the time I wanted to lean over to the lad and suggest that watching the Albion doesn't get much better than it is at the moment (although I admit in the first half against Leeds the players weren't great, the crowd was shockingly quiet and the stewarding insistence that all sat down was particularly annoying) and he should really watch the game. But I was too hungover and it looked like his dad could probably beat me up if he so wished so I thought better of it.

The point is this: I don't blame the kid for playing on a console, nor do I blame his parents for allowing him to do so. In fact, there were many times I was at an Albion match and wished I had one. But I do think that, had I been allowed to play on a console, I may now be a better, more balanced individual with something in my life more than just the Albion. But I worry I wouldn't care enough about the Seagulls - to the point where I may not have bawled my eyes out at Walsall last season.

*In fact, the PCC - not that we know who regulates blogs but we like to think of ourselves as proper media so we'll claim the PCC - stipulate the following in italics (with our non italised justification included for legal/attempted comic reasons):

6. Children
i) Young people should be free to complete their time at school without unnecessary intrusion. (we were in Leeds in a Saturday)

ii) A child under 16 must not be interviewed or photographed on issues involving their own or another child’s welfare unless a custodial parent or similarly responsible adult consents. (no issues were covered in the taking of this photo)

iii) Pupils must not be approached or photographed at school without the permission of the school authorities. (again, no school trip we don't think)

iv) Minors must not be paid for material involving children’s welfare, nor parents or guardians for
material about their children or wards, unless it is clearly in the child's interest. (paid? TSLR is hardly in a position to pay anyone. Just ask our contributors. Or the club?)

v) Editors must not use the fame, notoriety or position of a parent or guardian as sole justification for publication (seems as if we're off the hook after all)

1 comment:

Peter Chapman said...

What child are you talking about? I just see a floating handheld Nintendo DS.